08/23/2026
THIS OLD ABINGTON BUILDING – from the Dyer Library and Archives, 28 Centre Ave., Abington
The Winthrop Building, constructed in 1885, was located at 175-177 North Avenue in Abington began as a business block, with stores below and apartments above. The original owner was the Standish Block Association. The Standish Block Association, a group of local businessmen, had previously built and run the Standish Block building in 1881, located at just to the east of what would be the Winthrop Building. The original style of the building was Italianate with a pyramid roof. It stood on the lot just east of the First Baptist Church. The building was recovered with imitation aluminum clapboard around 1978.
The Winthrop building was dwarfed by its “mother building” the Standish Building which stood next door to the east. The Standish Building burned in February of 1977. Eleven people were alerted to the fire by Michael Malinowski, a tenant, and two mechanics, Kevin Wilson and David Murray, from Bud Little’s garage across the street. The fire may have been caused by an oil burner malfunction. Nine towns helped put out the Standish Building blaze.
Throughout its history, the Winthrop Building housed a hardware store, grocery store, dry-goods store, a crafts material shop, a thrift shop, a bank, a shoe store and at one time the North Abington branch of the public library. It, too, succumbed to fire.
Visuals:
The Standish Building is to the left and is larger than its “child”, the Winthrop Building.
Drawing from North Abington Souvenir booklet, 1889-1890. Today nothing stands on the site of these buildings’ original homes.