09/05/2026
Then and Now – About a month ago, the folks at the Clover Club shared some great historic photos with us of the Dehmer building back when it was a cigar shop. We posted one of those photos on August 5th, and today we’re sharing another one of those photos, comparing views at the 266 S. Washington Street in Tiffin, Ohio. The top vintage photo was taken in the late 1800’s and this was John Dehmer’s to***co and cigar shop that was here from 1893 to 1912. We’re not sure who everyone is in the photo – probably John Dehmer, his family and his dog. The bottom left photo is how it looks today. In that earlier post we also commented about the great cigar store Indian that’s also in the picture. But it wasn’t until just now, that we remembered that there was much more to this story.
Several years ago, this writer learned that there was a cigar store Indian in existence that had been made in Tiffin and it was on display in the general store at the Greenfield Village in Dearborn. When we went to the museum we were disappointed to learn that they had removed the Indian statue and put it away into storage. While at the Greenfield Village information center, they provided us with the photo that you can see on the right. The following is some history on this statue:
Compared to other cigar store Indians, this statue is very tall standing 85 inches high. The figure has a carved headdress of red, yellow and green feathers in a gilt headband with red decorative accents, long black hair and a gilt necklace. The figure holds a r***e in his left has a bunch of ci**rs in his out-stretched right hand. The statue is made from basswood and stands on a square wood base. The Native American statue was known as “Seneca John” and also “The Tiffin Tecumseh”. It was carved by Arnold Ruef, a pioneer wood carver, and his son Peter of Tiffin in the late 1860’s or 1870’s. The Ruefs had a shop in Tiffin in the 1880’s. It was carved for John Dehmer, a cigar maker, who displayed the figure in front of his shop. Dehmer’s son, Lewis, later sold the cigar store figure around 1916 or 1918 to an Ohio farmer, Albinus Elchert.
Albinus Elchert, from New Riegel, farmed for most of his life, but he also worked as a printer, roofer and manufacturer of patent medicines. But most of all, he was known as a collector of Indian relics, stamps, matchbooks, glass flasks, buttons, gourds, bee hives, coins and swords. Around 1928, Albin became acquainted with Detroit automaker Henry Ford, who was busy purchasing historical items for his museum. Elchert and Ford agreed to the price of $100 for the statue, and the story of Ford’s purchase was reported in newspapers all across the United States. Incredible as it may seem, this historic piece of art that once stood outside of Dehmer’s Cigar Store (now the Clover Club) for years, is currently being stored away in one of the Ford Museum’s - Greenfield Village’s seven huge warehouses.