08/22/2026
A Moment in Time (from the local history files at SWCPL): “We all scream for ice cream!”
Fred Norris fulfilled that need for ice cream for many years in South Whitley.
Norris, who was born in Richland Township, was South Whitley’s druggist for 44 years. His store provided more than just medicines and various sundry items. Like many drug stores of his era, he also had a soda fountain.
His journey as South Whitley druggist began in 1902 when he entered the drug store owned by George Ely. Within a couple of years, Norris took over ownership of the store that was situated where the former Barb’s Pizza/South State Pizza was located.
In 1925, Norris moved his store to the corner of State and Columbia streets, keeping the popular soda fountain with the wrought iron chairs and tables. His corner drug store soon became the hangout place for youth, thanks largely to sodas, cones, sundaes, rap sessions and magazines.
Norris’s store became locally famous for ice cream treats like the Norris special – ice cream, choice of syrup and nuts, all for 10 or 15 cents. Black cows, root beer poured over ice cream, was also a favorite order of the youth hanging out at the store. Then there was the “Norris Garage”, a tall, wide-mouth glass filled with whatever was ordered until it was brimming over.
Other specialties included lemon or lime phosphates – a fizzy, sweet-and-sour soda drink; chocolate, cherry or marshmallow Cokes; egg phosphates; buffaloes and an item called chop suey, which featured figs, dates, walnuts, maple syrup and ice cream.
The popular hangout lasted for more than 20 years until Norris removed the soda fountain and sold the store to Ray Walton in 1946. It was then sold to Charles Bagley in 1960, Howard Clark in 1965 which was later bought by Key Pharmacy.