08/21/2026
RUTLAND STATE SANATORIUM
As presented by T. C. Murphy in History of the town of Rutland published in 1970
The discovery of the tuberculosis germ was made in Germany by Professor Robert Koch, in 1882. In 1884, Dr. Edward Livingston Trudeau founded a Cottage Hospital for tubercular patients at Saranac Lake, New York, and established the Saranac Laboratory in New York City in 1894. He was a pioneer in the treatment of
this disease.
The first State owned and operated Sanatorium in the country, solely for the treatment of this disease, was built on Muschopauge Hill in Rutland. It was officially opened October 10, 1898, situated at an elevation of 1150 feet above sea level on a site of 200 acres.
The first patient was admitted on October 3, 1898. Dr. Walter Mar-cley was appointed as the first Superintendent.
Dr. Trudeau's methods of treatment were adopted at first. This meant drinking great quantities of milk and raw eggs, probably to gain weight to counteract this wasting disease, and to spend all time possible in the fresh air, winter or summer. At this time, the "White Plague," as it was commonly called, was highly contagious and fatal in the majority of cases.
This hospital, as well as other tuberculosis hospitals, spent hours in research, study and experimentation to find a cure for this terrible scourge. It was finally conquered, after many years, to the extent that lengthy hospitalization was no longer necessary, nor did patients have to be in Rutland to be treated, but could be treated as well in Boston or any other city. New drugs and other treatments were discovered. Thoracoplasty was introduced in 1927 which proved very successful in the majority of cases. Since all known active cases of tuberculosis were segregated, there was less spreading of the disease. As hospitalization was shortened and less and less new cases were discovered, it soon became evident that there would be less need for T.B. Hospitals. Their successful study and research had spelled their doom.