The Swedish Colonial Society

The Swedish Colonial Society Founded in 1909, SCS is the oldest Swedish historical organization in the U.S. dedicated to preserving the legacy of the New Sweden Colony in America.

Historical and lineage society.

TabergView from the top of Taberg Mountain, the highest point for miles around. In Jönköping County. Also a mine.Photo: ...
08/23/2026

Taberg

View from the top of Taberg Mountain, the highest point for miles around. In Jönköping County. Also a mine.

Photo: Joe Mathews

Delaware as Part of New Sweden This map shows how the area that would one day become Delaware changed hands over time, b...
08/21/2026

Delaware as Part of New Sweden

This map shows how the area that would one day become Delaware changed hands over time, being settled first as part of New Sweden, then as part of Dutch New Netherland, and finally coming under English control in 1664. Although Delaware's present-day boundaries are shown for reference, these were not established until the mid-18th century.

Map by National Geographic Society
Delaware as Part of New Sweden
Map of the Middle Colonies in 1638
Photograph

Source
From the book Voices from Colonial America: Delaware, 1638-1776, published by National Geographic Society © 2006, National Geographic Books
education.nationalgeographic.org

Varberg Fortress in the distanceIt is currently used as a museum and has a couple of notable pieces on permanent exhibit...
08/19/2026

Varberg Fortress in the distance
It is currently used as a museum and has a couple of notable pieces on permanent exhibit: Bocksten Man with the only complete clothing from the 1300s known to have been worn by a single individual, and the bullet that supposedly killed Charles XII of Sweden. The fort also houses a bed and breakfast as well as private accommodation.
Photo: Joe Mathews

Captain Israel Helmby Dr. Peter Stebbins CraigFellow, American Society of GenealogistsFellow, Genealogical Society of Pe...
08/17/2026

Captain Israel Helm

by Dr. Peter Stebbins Craig
Fellow, American Society of Genealogists
Fellow, Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
Historian, Swedish Colonial Society
originally published in Swedish Colonial News,
Volume 1, Number 6 (Fall 1992)

One of the legendary leaders emerging from New Sweden was Israel Helm, originally known as Israel Åkesson.
In 1749, Israel Helm's youngest son told Peter Kalm that his father had come to New Sweden at the age of 12 with Governor Printz in 1642-43 and lived in the Governor's household. Records at the Swedish National Archives give a slightly different story: they show that Israel Åkesson came to New Sweden in 1641 on the Charitas, with his father, musketeer Åke Israelsson from Stockholm. His father died at sea, one month before the Charitas reached New Sweden, and young Israel was cared for by the Company as an orphan. Undoubtedly, he became a ward of Governor Printz after his arrival in 1643.

On 1 March, 1648, after Israel became 18, he was named a soldier by Governor Printz and served in this capacity until he returned to Sweden with the governor in 1653. Two years later, Israel Akesson went to New Sweden a second time on the Mercurius and apparently resided on Tinicum Island. When Armegot Printz sold this island to Joost de la Grange in 1662, Israel returned to
Europe in her company. Over the next twelve months he appears to have married and to have helped recruit more Finnish Swedes as settlers for the City of Amsterdam, which then controlled the Delaware River. Israel next appears in Delaware River records in the fall of 1663 when he arrived by a Dutch ship at present New Castle in the company of 32 new Finnish settlers. The Dutch governor rewarded him by granting him a monopoly on the fur trade in present Pennsylvania and by naming him a "High Councillor," qualifying him to sit on the Swedes' Upland court.

Israel, who adopted the surname Helm (from hjelm, meaning "helmet" in Swedish) served continuously as a justice on the Upland court from 1663 to 1681, and acquired the title of Captain, a rank usually reserved for those who served as captain in the Swedish militia.
Through his Indian trading, Israel Helm also became proficient in the Indian dialects and was in frequent demand to negotiate treaties with the Indians. As a reward, Governor Andros of New
York granted him land near Burlington Island in 1677. Helm later surrendered this land to William Penn for his "Pennsbury" estate in exchange for other land on the Brandywine River.
Copyright Swedish Colonial Society 2012
After his return to America in 1663, Helm's principal residences were at Calcon Hook (Lower Darby) and Upland (Chester). By 1677, however, he had moved to Gloucester County, NJ, where he resided on Clonmell Creek until his death in the winter of 1701-02. He was buried next to his wife in the old Swedish graveyard on Tinicum Island.

Israel Helm had three sons and five daughters:
1. Israel, Jr., born c. 1663, went to sea around 1691 and was never heard from again.
2. Helene, born c. 1665, married Peter C**k, Jr., son of Peter Larsson C**k, in 1682 and had nine children. She died at Passyunk (South Philadelphia) after 1708.
3. Maria, born in 1666, married Andrew Robeson (of Scotch birth) c. 1690 and had I I children. She died 12 November 1716 and was buried at Gloria Dei. Her husband died 19 February 1720 and was the first person known to be buried at the Swedish church in
Douglassville in Berks County.
4. Another daughter, name unknown, was probably the first wife of Anders Friend, son of Nils Larsson Frände, and father of Israel Friend, of later Indian trading fame in Maryland. She died before her father.
5. Ingeborg, born c. 1670, became the second wife of Eric Mullica after 1693 and moved with her husband and youngest stepchildren to the Mullica River. She was a widow by 1704 and had no known children of her own.
6. Elisabeth, born c. 1673, married George Lawrence (English) by 1695 and had eight children. This family resided in lower Gloucester County, where she died c. 1737.
7. Hermanus, born c. 1675, married Catharine (parents not identified) and had at least I I children. He remained on his father's plantation, known as "Helmstadt," adding other lands, and died in November 1740.
8. Åkenus, born c. 1677, had two wives, Catharine Rambo (daughter of John Rambo and Brigitta C**k) and Elisabeth Dalbo, (daughter of Olof Dalbo and Catharine Friend), and had at least 11 children. He served as a trustee of the Swedish church in Swedesboro, NJ and
died in 1750 at his plantation on Raccoon Creek in Gloucester County.

Picture:
Little Tinicum Island, thecampingguys.blogspot.com
Little Tinicum Island is only accessible by watrcraft such as a motorboat, kyak, or canoe. There are no bridges or roads leading to the island. Situated in the Delaware River near Essington and the Philadelphia International Airport.

Little Tinicum Island, North Shore/ South Shore, Coastal Zone Aerial Photography,
https://www.pa.gov/agencies/dep/programs-and-services/water/bureau-of-safe-drinking-water/interstate-water-resources-management-division/coastal-resources-management-program/coastal-zone-aerial-photography

Jürgen Schneeweiss, Progenitor of the Keen Family by Dr. Peter Stebbins CraigFellow, American Society of GenealogistsFel...
08/13/2026

Jürgen Schneeweiss, Progenitor of the Keen Family

by Dr. Peter Stebbins Craig
Fellow, American Society of Genealogists
Fellow, Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
Historian, Swedish Colonial Society
Originally published in Swedish Colonial News, Volume 1, Number 11 (Spring 1995)

Governor Printz’ Monatgelderbuch, 1643-1653, recorded that the New Sweden soldier known as Jürgen Schneeweiss came from “Sachsen” (Saxony, Germany).

This fact was not known when Dr. Gregory B. Keen, a descendant of Jürgen Schneeweiss and Secretary of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, wrote a series of articles for the Pennsylvania Magazine of History & Biography, 1878-1883, “The Descendants of Jöran Kyn of New Sweden,” in which he wrote that the progenitor ofthe Keen family was born in Sweden. In 1913, Dr. Keen, then Vice President of the Swedish Colonial Society, republished this genealogy (with additions) as a book by the same name. By this time Dr. Keen should have known better. In the preceding years, Dr. Amandus Johnson had traveled to Sweden, examined the records of the New Sweden soldiers and undoubtedly informed Dr. Keen, his mentor, of his discovery.

Dr. Keen, however, apparently was unwilling to admit his own error. As a compromise, therefore, Dr. Amandus Johnson’s 1911 book, Swedish Settlements on the Delaware, 1638-1664, omitted any reference to Jürgen Keen’s national origin. Thus, the myth created by Dr. Keen remained unchallenged until recent years when a fresh look at the original records revealed much new information not published by either Dr. Keen or Dr. Johnson, both known as New Sweden scholars in their time.

The history of Jürgen Schneeweiss prior to 1642 is unknown other than the fact that he came from Saxony. Undoubtedly, he was among the many Germans recruited into the Swedish army during the Thirty Years War. His name translates into English as “George Snow-white,” the second name being indicative of his personal appearance, possibly the color of his hair or the lightness of his complexion, or both. After becoming a freeman, he substituted the word Kühn, meaning “bold” in German, which became the family surname. Variously spelled as Kijn, Kyn, Kien, Kühn or Keen, the surname eventually became standardized as Keen.

Jürgen Schneeweiss went on the New Sweden payroll on 1 Sept. 1642 when he was advanced three months’ wages in Stockholm (30 guilders). He sailed to America on the Swan, arriving in the New Sweden colony with Governor Printz on 15 Feb. 1643. He served as a soldier under Printz until 1653 when Printz returned to Sweden.

Choosing to remain in America, Jürgen adopted the surname of Kühn (Keen) and settled on Upland Creek. An English patent, issued 4 August 1668, described his lands as comprising 400 acres in three separate lots.

On 7 April 1663, before the Upland Court, Jurriaen Kyn (as he was called by the Dutch court clerk) sued Evert Hendricksson the Finn for assault and battery. The defendant was convicted and expelled from the colony, only to be granted refuge at Crane Hook by Gov. d’Hinoyossa of New Amstel.

The last known reference to the old soldier occurred on 1 March 1687/8 when “Urine Keen” conveyed his lot in Chester town (former Upland) for a Quaker meeting house. His other lands had previously been transferred to his three known children:

Hans Keen, apparently the eldest son, sold his Upland property to his brother Jonas in 1678 and moved to Pennypack Creek in what later became Oxford Township or Tacony. He died before 10 August 1684, when his widow Williamke Kühn was listed as a contributor to the Wicaco church. She later became the second wife of Caspar Fisk (Fish). Hans and Williamke had five surviving children: Matthias (born 1667), Eric, Jonas, Gertrude and George, all of whom married and had children.
Jonas Keen was of age by 17 May 1675 when he was named Ensign of the Upland Court militia. By 1680 he had moved to Burlington County NJ, where he acquired a share of Hans Monsson’s 500 acre plantation at Senamensing. He apparently moved from this location in 1693, because on 2 March 1694/5 administration of the estate of “Jonas Skeen” of Cesarie River (Cohansey Creek) was granted to his widow Catharine by the Salem County NJ court. His widow Catharine was buried at the Swedish church on Raccoon Creek (Swedesboro), 5 Oct. 1715. Only three of their six children have been identified: Måns (born c. 1678), George and Catharine.

Anna Keen was married about 1668 to James Sandelands, an English soldier of Scotch birth who obtained a 200-acre patent on Upland Creek on 4 Aug. 1668 and his discharge from the army in 1669. He died in Chester, 12 April 1692, survived by his wife, two married daughters (Eleanor, wife of George Foreman, and Catharine, wife of Jasper Yeates) and five minor children: Christian, Mary, James, Jonas and Lydia. Anna then married Peter Baynton (English) in 1692 and had an additional child, Rebecca, born c. 1693/4. Her second husband deserted her and returned to England. Anna was buried 5 Oct. 1704 at St. Paul’s Church in Chester, beside her first husband.

Picture 1:
Pennypack Creek is a 22.6-mile-long (36.4 km) creek in southeastern Pennsylvania in the United States. It runs southeast through lower Bucks County, eastern Montgomery County and the northeast section of Philadelphia, before emptying into the Delaware River.

The creek draws its name from the Lenape word pënëpèkw meaning "downward-flowing water" or "deep, dead water; water without much current." Early cartographers gave various spellings for the name, including Pennishpaska, La Riviere de Pennicpacka, and Pennishpacha Kyl. In early Swedish patents it was called Pemipacka. Thomas Holme called it Dublin Creek, while in later maps it is called Pennypack and Pennepack. Wiki.

Picture 2: The Pennypack Creek in Pennypack Park in Northeast Philadelphia. Wiki.

Nils Andersson and His Lykins Descendants by Dr. Peter Stebbins CraigFellow, American Society of GenealogistsFellow, Gen...
08/08/2026

Nils Andersson and His Lykins Descendants

by Dr. Peter Stebbins Craig
Fellow, American Society of Genealogists
Fellow, Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
Historian, Swedish Colonial Society
originally published in Swedish Colonial News,
Volume 3, Number 5 (Fall/Winter 2006)

The freeman Nils Andersson, his wife and at least four children were aboard the Eagle when that ship left Gothenburg for New Sweden on the 2nd of February 1654. From the burial records of two
surviving daughters, we learn that he came from Nya Kopparberget in Ljusnarsberg parish, Örebro län, Sweden.

Nils Andersson may never have seen the new land. He probably was one of many who died at sea. When the new freemen were gathered at Tinicum Island to sign pledges of allegiance to Governor Johan Risingh, Nils Andersson’s widow signed for the family. The widow (name unknown) soon remarried. Her second husband was Mats Hansson from Borgå, Finland, one of the leading freemen of the colony who had arrived in New Sweden in 1641 and
served on Governor Risingh’s council.

In order to provide a home for his new family, Mats Hansson became the first settler on Minquas Island, an island to the north of Tinicum Island, later surveyed as 468 acres. By 1660, Mats Hansson had given half of this island to his new son-in-law, Anders Svensson Bonde, who had married Anna Nilsdotter. The island would later bear his name and became known as Boon’s Island. On 18 May 1663, Governor Petrus Stuyvesant granted patents to Mats Hansson and Anders Svensson Bonde for their halves of Minquas Island.

After the surrender of New Sweden to the Dutch in 1655, Mats Hansson from Borgå became one of the justices of the Upland Court and served in that capacity until at least 1663. Upon his death, his remaining half of Minquas Island went to his second son-in-law, Otto Ernest C**k, who received an English patent confirming his ownership on 7 May 1672. The two youngest children of Nils Andersson were Peter Nilsson and Michel Nilsson. They ultimately settled in the woods of Shackamaxon and adopted the surname of Lyckan, meaning “a glen or clearing in the woods,” which was descriptive of their plantations. Neither Peter nor Michel could write. They signed documents with a “P” or an “M.” Among literate Swedes their surname was spelled Laijkan, Laican, Leikan and Laikan. In deeds and wills, the English scriveners used the spelling of Lakian, Lykell, Lyckan, Lykan, Likin, Lycon, Loykan, Laycon,
Leycon and Laicon. Their descendants also have similar variations to the surname.
Copyright Swedish Colonial Society 2012
The four known children of Nils Andersson from Nya Kopparberget are:
1. Anna Nilsdotter, born in Nya Kopparberget about 1637, married Anders Svensson Bonde c. 1657 and lived her entire adult life on Minquas (later Boon’s Island), where she died in 1713. She had ten children – Sven, Peter, Hans, Catharina, Nils, Olle, Margaretta, Brigitta, Anders and Ambora. (See “Anders Svensson Bonde and His Boon Family,” Swedish Colonial News, Vol. 1, No. 14, Fall 1996).
2. Christina Nilsdotter, born in Nya Kopparberget c. 1639, married Otto Ernest C**k [originally spelled Koch], a Holsteiner, c. 1670, who was given half of Boon’s (former Minquas) Island. She died there in 1709. Her husband served as a justice on the Upland Court, 1671-1683, and also was a warden of the log church at Wicaco. He died in 1720. Christina, who was buried 3 July 1709, had three children who lived to adulthood and married:
Valentine C**k, born c. 1672, was married in 1697 to Margaret Swanson, daughter of Anders and Anna Svensson. After her death, he married 2nd Elisabeth, widow of Christiern
Jöransson of the Wilmington congregation. He died at Boon’s Island in 1725, survived by four known sons: Andrew C**k, born c. 1700, married Catharina Hoffman, widow of Andrew Rambo of NJ, and died in 1770 at Boon’s Island; Otto C**k, born c. 1704, married
Maria Lock and died at Repaupo Creek in New Jersey by 1750; Gunnar C**k, born c. 1708, married Christina Hendrickson in 1734 and died in Gloucester County NJ in 1759; Peter C**k, born c. 1710, married Beata Lock and died in Gloucester County NJ c. 1760.
Zacharias C**k, born in 1674, married Christina Stille, daughter of John and Gertrude Stille, on 24 Jan. 1705. His father gave him a 210-acre plantation on the east side of Cobb’s Creek in Kingsessing, which remained his home until his death in 1740. He had two sons:
John, who died unmarried, and Arthur (Otto), the eldest, who had sons William and Zacharias.
Elizabeth C**k, born c. 1676, married Matthias Nitzilius by 1696. The couple were granted land on Cobb’s Creek by her father, which they thought to be 200 acres, but the Quaker government granted 100 acres of it to Richard Tucker, which was the cause of considerable protest among the Swedes. Elisabeth predeceased her husband, who died in 1724, survived by Christina, who married Conrad Niedermark; Otto (a.k.a. Arthur) who married widow Maria Lenderman [Swedish]; Catharina; Maria; Elisabeth who married Daniel Van Culin; Dorothy; and Margaret.
3. Peter Nilsson Lyckan, probably born in Nya Kopparberget c. 1641, was married by estimation in 1663. In 1671 was living with his young family on the Printztorp plantation, owned by Armegard Printz at the mouth of Upland Creek. Within a few years, Peter had moved with his brother Michel and Gunnar Rambo to Shackamaxon. Ultimately, in 1691, he received a patent for this land, 468½ acres.
Peter Lyckan also acquired 200 acres nearby which he called “Poor Island.” He wrote his will on 21 January 1691/2, naming his brother Michel and his brother-in-law Otto Ernest C**k as executors. The will left 180 acres apiece to his two unmarried sons and £ 20 apiece to his three unmarried daughters when they reached the age of 21. He died at Shackamaxon shortly thereafter. The name of his wife has not yet been discovered.
Peter’s surviving children were:
Nils Laican, born c. 1664, married Maria Gästenberg c. 1687. She was a daughter of Olle Nilsson alias Gästenberg. During his father’s lifetime he had been given 300 acres, including “Poor Island.” In 1711 he also purchased a corn grist mill on Red Clay Creek in New Castle County, 294 acres, half of which he gave to his daughter Christina after she married Justa Justis, Jr., of Kingsessing, and the other half of which was sold after his death to his
Copyright Swedish Colonial Society 2012
daughter Brita when she married John Seeds of New Castle County. Nils Laican was an active member of Gloria Dei until his death on 4 December 1721. He was survived by seven daughters: Christina, who married Justa Justis, Jr.; Gertrude, who married Edward Hatfield in 1714; Anna, who married John Rambo, Jr., son of John Rambo and Brigitta C**k of Gloucester County, NJ; Elisabeth, who married (1) Fred Geörgen by 1718 and (2) Måns Jonasson Keen in 1722; Brita, who married (1) John Seeds in 1722 and (2) Thomas Milner;
Susannah (not traced); and Maria, who married Hans Ericsson Keen.
Anders Laican, born c. 1666, was married by 1695 to Anna [parents not identified]. In 1699 he sold his land at Shackamaxon and moved to Matsunk (Swedesford) on the Schuylkill on land that he rented from Måns C**k. By 1709 he had moved upriver to Manatawney
(present Douglassville) to share land owned by his brother-in-law Måns Jones. He bought this land in 1721. He sold the same to his son-in-law Benjamin Boone in 1733. He died at Manatawney before 1740, survived by his wife Anna. They had one son, Peter Lycon, born c. 1706, who married Sarah Jones, daughter of Jonas Jones and Anne Seymour of Kingsessing and became the progenitor of the Lykins families of present West Virginia.
They also had daughters Christina, who married Israel Robeson, a grandson of Israel Helm; Brita, who married pastor Samuel Hesselius; Anna, who never married but had a daughter;
Susanna, who married the Quaker Benjamin Boone; Maria, who married Anders Ringberg, an immigrant from Sweden; and Phoebe, who married John Jones, son of Jonas Jones and Anne Seymour of Kingsessing.
Hans Laican, born in 1668, married Gertrude Johansdotter, daughter of Johan Classon c. 1695. In 1697, he sold his land at Shackamaxon and acquired 160 acres at Pennypack in Lower Dublin Township, Philadelphia, which remained his home until his death on 19 September 1751. The land was then sold to pay off the mortgage. He had five sons and two known daughters. John Lycan, the eldest, married Elizabeth (surname unknown) and moved
to Burlington County; the last report on him was the fact that he escaped from the Burlington County jail in March 1742. Peter Lycan, born in 1699, married Brita Jones in 1719, and lived for several years in Moorland township, Philadelphia, before moving to
Frederick County, Virginia, where he died in 1753. Hans Lycan, Jr., remained at Pennypack and was twice married, dying in 1761. Nicholas Lycan remained with his father until the home plantation was sold and then moved to Burlington County, NJ, where he died in 1766.
Andrew Lycan, the youngest son, married Jane Cahoon at Christ Church in 1730 and then moved to the Pennsylvania frontier, where he was killed by Indians in Lykens Valley, Fermanagh township, Cumberland County in 1756.
Ingeborg Laican, born c. 1670 married Måns Jonasson [Mounce Jones], son of Jonas Nilsson, about 1690. The couple became the first Swedish settlers at Manatawney (Douglassville) in Berks County. Their children included: Margaret, born 1691, who married
Marcus Huling; Peter, born 1693, who married Elisabeth [parents unknown]; Christina, born 1696; Jonas, born 1698, who married Maria Knecht; Andrew, born c. 1700, who married Dorothy Goucher; and Magdalena, who married Andrew Bird.
Three other daughters, all unmarried, were also mentioned in Peter Laican’s will: Anna, Mallee [Magdalena] and Brita. They have not been traced.
4. Michel Nilsson Laican, born c. 1644 in Sweden, married Helena Lom in 1670. She was the daughter of Måns Svensson Lom and step-daughter of Lars Andersson Collinus of Moyamensing.
Michel moved with his brother Peter to Shackamaxon, which remained his home until 1699, when he sold his lands and moved to a plantation on Woodbury Creek in Gloucester County. Although
he had been named a church warden at Gloria Dei Church in 1701, he was instrumental in establishing the new Swedish church on Raccoon Creek in 1702. He was buried on 17 April 1704.
He was survived by ten children:
Copyright Swedish Colonial Society 2012
Catharina Laican, born 1671, married Laurence Huling of Gloucester County NJ c. 1695.
They had two children before Lawrence’s death in 1700: Laurence Huling, Jr. (1697-1748), who married Diana Helm and remained in New Jersey, and Michael Huling (1699-1781) who married twice and became a successful shipwright in Philadelphia.
Anna Laican, born 21 Aug. 1673, married John Gunnarsson Rambo c. 1695. They moved to Matsunk (Swedesford) in Upper Merion Township with his father, Gunnar Rambo. She died by 1725 after bearing seven children: Peter, Måns, Gabriel, Michael, Anna, Helena and Ezekiel. Her husband remarried, had four additional children and died in Upper Merion in February 1746.
Gertrude Laican, born 16 Dec. 1675, married Peter Ericsson C**k c. 1702 and died in Gloucester County c. 1721, survived by seven children: Emanuel, Catharina, Helena, Anna, Maria, Peter and Måns. Her husband remarried, had five more children and died in
Gloucester County in July 1747.
Nils Laican, born 20 Feb. 1677, married Susannah Casparsdotter Fish at Gloria Dei Church on 11 November 1702. He died as Nicholas Lycon in Deptford Township, Gloucester County, NJ, in March 1733. He had no surviving children.
Måns Laican, born 10 March 1679, married Maria Jones, daughter of John Jones and Catharina Lock, c. 1720. They had daughters Catharina and Helena before he died in Deptford Township in January 1728.
Anders Laican, born 11 March 1682, never married. He died as Andrew Lycon in Deptford Township in March 1733.
Christina Laican, born 15 Feb. 1684, married Elias Casparsson Fish by 1703. They lived in Upper Greenwich Township, Gloucester County. She was bearing children as late as January 1727. It is not known when she died, but it appears that she and several of her children died in the smallpox epidemic of 1728.
Michael Laican, born 11 Oct. 1686, married Annicka Fredricksdotter Hoffman c. 1709. They had at least ten children, including three sons who survived childhood: Michael, Frederick and Ezekiel. The father disappears from recorded history after 1740. Frederick
(1715-1770) moved back across the Delaware to live at Calcon Hook in Lower Darby Township.
Helena Laican, born 29 Dec. 1689, married Casper Fish, Jr., of Waterford Township, Gloucester County. She predeceased her husband, whose will of 21 October 1748 named sons Michael, John, Isaac and Elias and daughters Rebecca, Mary and Helena.
Zacharias Laican, born 26 Dec. 1696, never married. He died in Deptford Township at the end of March 1733

Picture: Cobbs Creek Cobbs Creek is an 11.8-mile-long tributary of Darby Creek in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Wiki

Lars Carlsson Lock, Pastor of New Sweden and his Family by Dr. Peter Stebbins CraigFellow, American Society of Genealogi...
08/03/2026

Lars Carlsson Lock,
Pastor of New Sweden and his Family

by Dr. Peter Stebbins Craig
Fellow, American Society of Genealogists
Fellow, Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
Historian, Swedish Colonial Society
originally published in Swedish Colonial News,
Volume 1, Number 17 (Spring 1998)

Lars Carlsson Lock, as was typical among Swedish ministers, generally used a Latinized version of his name Laurentius Caroli Lockenius. He was born as Lars Carlsson [Lars, son of Carl] and
later adopted his surname from his place of origin, Lockerud, near Mariestad, in Skaraborg County, Sweden. Based on his reported age at the time of his death, he was born about 1624.

In September 1647, at the age of 23, Lars Lock sailed from Göteborg to New Sweden aboard the Swan. In the colony, he replaced the veteran minister, Johan Carnpanius, and took up residence at the New Sweden glebe lands, which extended from the mouth of Upland (Chester) Creek to Olof Stille's Creek (now Ridley Creek). His log church, built a few years before by Governor Printz,
was located a short distance away on Tinicum Island. His congregation, however, was widely scattered, extending from the Schuylkill River on the north to Christina Creek on the south.

In the summer of 1653, when the freemen, led by Olof Stille, decided to file a petition of grievances with Governor Printz, they apparently turned to Lock to write the petition. Printz accused him of instigating the "mutiny," but the new Governor, Johan Rising, was persuaded that Lock was not guilty of the charge.
Lars Lock married two times. There being no other minister on the Delaware, he performed the marriage rites both times.
His first wife, named Catharina, was born in Sweden about 1635. Her parents have not been identified. In September 1661, she ran away with Jacob Jongh from Göteborg, who had arrived in New Sweden in 1654 as a soldier and commissary. They moved first to Westchester County, NY, but returned to Philadelphia County by 1677. Jongh served as sexton and schoolmaster at the new
log church at Wicaco, under Rev. Jacob Fabritius, until his death in April 1686. Catharina, then married John Tank. She died at the age of 78 and was buried at Gloria Dei Church at Wicaco, 14 August 1713. Her only child, Hester Young, apparently was fathered by Jacob Jongh.
Lock's second wife, mother of all of his known children, was Beata Lom, daughter of Måns Lom, who lived with Olof Stille at Techoherassi, the tract between Ridley Creek and Crum Creek. Beata was reported to be the first girl born in New Sweden. She was 18 years old when she married Lock
Copyright Swedish Colonial Society 2012
in January 1662. The Dutch authorities claimed the marriage was illegal because Governor Stuyvesant had not yet granted Lock a divorce from his first wife. But Olof Stille, speaking for the Upland Court, informed the Dutch it was none of their business.

Around 1663 over 20 Finnish families, members of Lock's congregation at Tinicum Island, moved to Crane Hook, in Dutch controlled territory south of the Christina River. Granted religious
freedom by the New Amstel governor, Alexander d'Hinojossa, the Finns built a log church at Crane Hook, which Lock also served until his death.
Around 1664, Lock acquired, as his personal property, the former Techoherassi estate of Olof Stille. When, in 1669, a number of the Finns plotted a rebellion against the British (who captured the
river in 1664), Lock lent support for the scheme and was heavily fined for his role in the "Long Finn Rebellion," so called because the agitator for the rebellion was a tall Finn.
Lock's role as the only minister on the Delaware ended in 1677 when the Swedes living northeast of Mill (Darby) Creek built a new log church at Wicaco and invited Jacob Fabritius to be their pastor. Adding insult to injury, Jacob Jongh, who had eloped with Lock's first wife, became sexton for the new church.
Lock continued to serve in the pulpits of both the Tinicum church and the Crane Hook church until his death at Upland Creek in September 1688 at the reported age of 64. In the final years of
his life he suffered from lameness. His widow Beata died in the following spring. Their minor children then moved to Gloucester County NJ to live with their aunt, Maria Lom, wife of Johan Mattsson.
The seven known children of Lars and Beata (Lom) Lock are listed below. All of their spouses were Swedes and all were active in the Swedish church on Raccoon Creek, at present Swedesboro.
1. Anders Lock, born c. 1663, was appointed constable of Ridley Township in Dec. 1687. In 1689 he sold the family plantation and moved to Gloucester County, where in 1694 he married Christina Fish, widow of Hans Peterson. Anders died of a rattlesnake bite and was buried 5 August 1716. He was survived by six children: Maria, Israel, Lars, Helena, Måns and Anders.
2. Måns Lock, born c. 1665, never married. He died in Gloucester County by 1698.
3. Catharina Lock, born c. 1668, married c. 1692 John Jonasson, son of Jonas Nilsson. Perhaps he was a mariner for he seems to be absent most of the time. Catharina, became housekeeper for John Bowles whose 1715 will left his entire estate in Greenwich Township
to Catharina, and her five daughters: Beata, Elisabeth, Anna, Maria and Rebecca Jones.
Catharina Lock Jones was buried 22 March 1720.
4. John Lock, born c. 1670, married by 1713 Catharina Hoffman, daughter of Frederick Hoffman. John Lock was buried 6 Nov. 1720, survived by four children: John, Måns, Beata, and Helena. His widow became the second wife of Stephen Jones (Swedish).
5. Peter Lock, born c. 1673, married c. 1703 Maria (parents not identified). A vestryman at the Swedish church at Raccoon, Peter Lock was buried 13 June 1731, and survived by nine children: Lars, Charles, Beata, Maria, Jonas, John, Jasper, Peter and Susanna.
6. Maria Lock, born c. 1675, secured an order on 1 June 1697 from the Gloucester County court against Hermanus Helm to pay support for her illegitimate child, born the previous April. Before the year was over, it was arranged that she marry Anders Hoffman. They lived at Piles Grove in Salem County. Anders Hoffman was buried 25 April 1727, survived by eleven children: Lars, John, Anders, Måns, Catharina, Maria, Beata, Rebecca, Margaret,
Susanna, and Magdalena. Widow Maria Lock Hoffman was still living in 1749.
7. Gustaf Lock, born c. 1680, married c. 1709 Magdalena Hoffman, a daughter of Frederick Hoffman. He died in the fall of 1742, survived by seven children: Swan, Anders, Rebecca, Catharina, Elisabeth, Zebulon, and Gustaf.

Pictures: rattlesnake, Wiki. Anders Lock died of a rattlesnake bite.
Ridley Creek, Wiki.

Address

97 Wanamaker Avenue Essington PA
Philadelphia, PA
19029

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when The Swedish Colonial Society posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Shortcuts

Share