06/07/2026
This small marker is situated in Monument Square, New Brunswick, NJ, on the George Street side. The inscription commemorates College Hall, the second home of Rutgers U, before the move to Old Queens. It states that the building was at the end of George Street while Rutgers U was using it in 1791, meaning the section of our City east of Monument Square wasn’t built yet. The marker mentions the “grammar school,” now Rutgers Preparatory School, but not the New Brunswick Theological Seminary, even though they were also affiliated with Rutgers U while College Hall was in use. Since it is dated 1930, we believe it was installed as part of our City’s Bicentennial celebrations that year. Modern photo of marker by post author, along with photo of building before it was demolished supplied by community member M. A. S. Fischer.
http://www.nbfplarchive.org/nbrevitalization/files/nb_images/belvin_photos/schools/lancastrian_school_chronicles_of_new_brunswick_1667_1931_wall_john_p_179_184.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0zErK0UrbYnGRNG71K1fIzHYY17w5UBCbQzyqErvo1HMuN4n3TMwerXhg_aem_th_ARLCnKTHVeMG16R_hIwJYh7FCe6Fv-_09K5N1hO0xTyq7Z8_LvNf-Wnk4l3NhdwmUjY&mibextid=Zxz2cZ