08/08/2026
BETHEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Hiram, Georgia
Bethel Church was founded during pioneer days as settlers came here by wagon trains to take up residency. While they cleared the land and built homes, they did not forget their spiritual needs. They soon built a “meeting house” about three miles from the present church on the old Rentz Estate. They called it Bethel, “the place of God.”
Little is known about the part of Bethel’s early history. However, the names of some of the early settlers are known. The names of these settlers included Clonts, Verner, McLarty, Dorris, Taylor, Tidwell, and Brown. Today’s Brownsville community is named for the Brown settlers. Most likely there were some other names, but we have no records of them. These names can be found in the present church membership.
They lived as all early settlers did in those days by the sweat of their brow. In the church yard they buried their dead and as time passed and more settlers moved in, they probably saw the need to have their children in a more populated place. This first site was left to the ravages of time.
The second church was originally a log structure, built for a school house and was located about one half mile south of the Sweetwater Creek on the west side of Highway 92. The property was given by Jacob Clonts.
In 1839, a member of the church died, and his widow expressed her wish to bury him on someone’s property who was settled for life. Jacob Clonts said he was settled for life and granted her wish. Samuel Verner was the first person buried in the present cemetery.
The third church, built in 1883, was almost directly across the road from church number two and was used for worship until it burned in 1923. The congregation had gathered for services that Sunday morning and the men and boys were able to save everything inside the church, the pulpit and pulpit bible, the communion table and communion service, the pews and the chancel rail were saved. The roof was so steep, there was no way the building could be saved. Plans were soon made to rebuild, and the fourth church was built on its present location, near the already established cemetery.
Over the years, this church has seen many changes. Originally heated with pot-bellied stoves, these were replaced with gas heaters. In 1954 the Bethel United Methodist Women raised money to build the first fellowship hall and kitchen, which also included inside restrooms. In 1961 the main church was completely remodeled, and Sunday School rooms were built, and during the early 1970’s a new fellowship hall was built and the old one made into Sunday School rooms.
But this is the physical part of the church. As we look again, the faces come into focus, and we see those who were born here and brought up in this church. Then, in later years, we have seen the second generation of faithfuls as well as others who have moved in and joined the ranks of God’s servants. We are all one body, regardless of how long we have been here at Bethel.
In 160 years (this article was written in 1999 so currently in 2026 that would be 187 years) Bethel has had 77 known pastors and according to the membership roll has had 1,376 souls brought into fellowship in the church.
Written by Jean Y. Meek, Church Historian
From “The Heritage of Paulding County, Georgia, 1832-1999”