17/08/2026
Conductor Sir Henry Wood founded the Proms in 1895, but it wasn’t until 1941 that the Hall became the festival’s new home.
Every summer, the bronze bust of Sir Henry sits in front of the organ console, looking out at the audience enjoying this celebration of music. At the end of his stay, on the Last Night of the Proms, he will be decorated by the Prommers with a laurel wreath.
A very famous face to some, but to others way up in the Gallery, he could be mistaken for the evening’s organist.