18/07/2026
1863. One we've posted a few years ago, but worth an expanded repost for the Henfield Cricket Club Cricket Club's President's Day tomorrow, also marking the 100th anniversary of the pavilion. Open to the public from 11:30AM into the early evening, we'll have a gazebo/display there along with other community groups, so drop by!
~
The photo was taken during a match with Steyning with the tented pavilion behind. It has been restored and colourised (both by algorithm and manually). See the source sepia print in the comments.
The playing of the game in the village goes back at least 50 years prior to the club's foundation date of 1771 and at its mid-19th century peak, multiple members played for Sussex, with Henry Charlwood playing for England on the very first tour at Melbourne in Australia. Until the 1920s, the pavilion was a tent as seen here, put up for matches on the Common or the George field (with the buildings at the latter now home to Stokes, the antiques shop and convenience shop developed in 1905).
The current pavilion was built in 1926, with materials provided free of charge by local builder Mr. Alfred Baigent (based in the white 1870s workshop building at Golden Square) who also built Henfield's first council houses at Hollands Road. After 1000 hours' voluntary work, the pavilion was formally opened by former Sussex and England captain Arthur Gilligan on a rainy July 19th. As the plans grew more elaborate, various charity drives also meant that Mr. Baigent received back £250 of the total £282 final cost.
***Cast of characters***
Some, but not all of those pictured are labelled on the club's print of this photo. At the top, third from left with pipe and watch chain showing is 'Stoner', likely Charles, the landlord of the George Inn, who alongside his wife Louisa was famed in the village for hosting and catering for parties and events. He most probably catered for this match. Far right top is G. Heaver, perhaps the same as he who served in the Rifle Volunteers (a duty several others pictured here also took up).
Standing far left in frock coat and with mutton chops is John Fairs Martin, the landlord of the White Hart. Next to him is J. West. Market gardener Richard 'Dick Fillery Senior is fourth along this row with peaked cap. William Pattenden, son of Edward 'Ned' Pattenden who drove stagecoaches on the London - Brighton road stands on the far right, with farmer Tom Piper to his right. Henry Longley of the well known Henfield High Street tailors stands below him.
Farmer and High Street butcher John Thorns sits third from left wearing a boater. Richard 'Dick' Fillery (Junior) who bowled and batted for Sussex and like his father was a gardener is to his left enjoying a cigar. Second from left on the ground (in dark suit) is 16 year old Walter Pattenden, William's younger brother. Farmer and carter John Muzzall is to his left, with Tom Thorns lying second from right (both Thorns being ancestors of former club president Conway Thorns).
Behind, some folks appear to be already seated and enjoying white tablecloths and libations. And needless to say, the supporting cast of children, pipes and ci**rs does a fine job too! Tales of some of those pictured can be found in Eddie Colgate's book, 'Henfield's 19th Century Egg Basket', available in the museum and on our website.