The history of Coventry Boys Club is one of effort and determination. It was founded in the 1930's when the Coventry branch of Toc H started the Red Lane Boys Club at Red Lane school. Since its foundation, however, the club was destroyed by fire on two separate occasions; once during the Blitz in 1940 and, more recently, by an arson attack in June 1990. Each time the club rose from the ashes and e
ach time, the club has become better than before. It has been on the present site in Whitefriars Lane since 1965. It was opened by Viscount Althrop and later visited by The Duke of Gloucester, the, then, president of the National Association of Clubs for Young People. Despite what the name would suggest the Coventry Boys Club is not a single s*x organisation. An increasing amount of work is undertaken with boys, girls and young people. The club is both a registered charity (no. 1062220) and a company limited by guarantee. It is administered by a board of Directors and a Club committee who are elected annually at the AGM. On a practical basis, the qualified youth leader, supported by a small army of volunteers, is responsible for the day to day running of the club. The centre is open every night in the week for a variety of activities.