Midland and Districts Historical Society Inc.

Midland and Districts Historical Society Inc. Affiliated Member of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society Inc. Member of the Midland Railway Network
Member of the Midland Workshops Community Group

Historical Society for Baskerville, Bellevue, Boya, Greenmount, Helena Valley, Herne Hill, Jane Brook, Koongamia, Middle Swan, Midland, Midvale, Millendon, Red Hill, Stratton, Swan View, Upper Swan, Viveash, West Midland, Wexcombe and Woodbridge.

๐—›๐—œ๐—ฆ๐—ง๐—ข๐—ฅ๐—ฌ ๐—ข๐—™ ๐—ง๐—›๐—˜ ๐— ๐—œ๐——๐—Ÿ๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—ข๐—ฉ๐—”๐—Ÿ ๐—š๐—ฅ๐—”๐—ก๐——๐—ฆ๐—ง๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—ฆ๐—–๐—ข๐—ฅ๐—˜๐—•๐—ข๐—”๐—ฅ๐——October 21, 1901 saw the Midland Oval and Recreation Reserve offici...
22/08/2026

๐—›๐—œ๐—ฆ๐—ง๐—ข๐—ฅ๐—ฌ ๐—ข๐—™ ๐—ง๐—›๐—˜ ๐— ๐—œ๐——๐—Ÿ๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—ข๐—ฉ๐—”๐—Ÿ ๐—š๐—ฅ๐—”๐—ก๐——๐—ฆ๐—ง๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—ฆ๐—–๐—ข๐—ฅ๐—˜๐—•๐—ข๐—”๐—ฅ๐——

October 21, 1901 saw the Midland Oval and Recreation Reserve officially opened by His Worship The Mayor of Midland Junction, Dr William Elgee with a commemorative tree planting ceremony and day of sports activities on the Oval.

The commemorative tree planting ceremony involved Mayor William and Mayoress Amy Elgee planting a tree either side of the Ovalโ€™s entrance at The Avenue.

The grandstand was constructed in 1907 and it was relocated from its original position in 1935.

Tragedy struck in the grandstand in January 1948, when Midland Junction Municipality electrician, Albert Edward Clough passed away following an accident while changing the light globes in the front of the grandstand.

A shortage of changerooms for sporting groups using Midland Oval was proving to be a problem in the early 1950โ€™s. Midland Junction Municipality thought it would be an idea to use the canteen within the grandstand as a change room but the Health Commissioner stepped in and ordered them to stop that practice.

A severe storm came through Midland in December 1962 causing major roof damage to the grandstand. By January the following year, the Public Health Department declared the grandstand unsafe and it was closed.

A new pavilion was constructed on the northern side of Midland Oval by 1964 and in 1965, three years after the grandstand was condemned it was demolished along with the original scoreboard.

The scoreboard we see on the former Midland Oval site today was built around 1970 or 1971 confirming it is not the original scoreboard.

Unfortunately we do not have photos of the front elevation of the grandstand and original scoreboard and hoping there are still some photos out there.

We understand that one of the road reserves within the new subdivision of the site has been named Grandstand Way. It would a great result if it was in recognition of the Midland Oval grandstand that stood on the site from 1907 to 1965.

๐—š๐—ฎ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป ๐—ข'๐— ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ - ๐—” ๐—ง๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฏ๐˜‚๐˜๐—ฒ(26 Mar 1942, Kununoppin โ€“ 7 Aug 2026, Middle Swan)Although not born in Midland, his grandfathe...
22/08/2026

๐—š๐—ฎ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป ๐—ข'๐— ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ - ๐—” ๐—ง๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฏ๐˜‚๐˜๐—ฒ
(26 Mar 1942, Kununoppin โ€“ 7 Aug 2026, Middle Swan)

Although not born in Midland, his grandfather moved from Victoria to Clayton Street, Bellevue as a blacksmith in the early part of the 1900โ€™s and thus Gavinโ€™s father, John Patrick Oโ€™Meara was a local boy before the family moved to Trayning and farmed.

But Gavin was again drawn back to Bellevue and spent many, many years as part of the Midland Saleyards history. His love of the sheep industry resulted in his operations as a Wesfarmers employee unloading and drafting sheep for sale, a partnership in the transport and feedlot industry (McKenzie and Oโ€™Meara), stock buyer and caretaker of the Elders paddocks at Bellevue living in the old Belle View farmhouse when holding paddocks were on both sides of the Helena River.

Before extensive trucking of sheep, he drove sheep from Belle View Farm and Valley Farm under the Military Road bridge through the stock route and into the saleyards. The sheep were then loaded on rail cars, at night as the saleyards were being used during the day. At times, 50,000 sheep were on both sides of the Helena River. The Elders paddocks were closed in the early 1980โ€™s due to dust issues and nearby land development.

He turned his hand to sheep buying after 1976 for Emmanuel Export; thus, many hours were spent at the Saleyards resulting in a record of โ€œnever missing a sale dayโ€. Auctions of stock were raucous and large. He was well-acquainted with the old stockmen and auctioneers of those early days in a dusty and dirty environment.

After marrying Kerry Paddon, they continued to live at the Belle View farmhouse for a period and there were many good times with picnics in the paddocks, an open fire for a barbecued lamb chop and a glass of rough red. He was a good host!

Gavinโ€™s knowledge of sheep, including properties and breeders throughout Western Australia, was unlimited. He travelled many kilometres buying sheep for market and was a true adherent of a good and honest live export industry and โ€œKeep the Sheepโ€.

With the closing of the Midland Saleyards in 2010 which moved to the new complex at Muchea, he was saddened at the passing of the old site, but continued to attend sales with his son, Tim, and son-in-law, Warren, who become part of his team in the lead-up years.

Gavin will be missed by his many, many friends and colleagues in the Midland district and afar โ€“ from sheep to sport, horses and family, he was a mate to all.

We wish to extend our condolences to Gavinโ€™s family and friends.

Written and shared by Sue White.

Bellevue Primary School on Clayton Street was officially opened on September 28, 1903.The school would go onto service o...
21/08/2026

Bellevue Primary School on Clayton Street was officially opened on September 28, 1903.

The school would go onto service our community for 100 years until its closure by the Gallop State Government at the end of the school year in 2003. It was merged with Koongamia Primary School and moved to Koongamia and rebranded as Clayton View Primary School today.

Photos show the original school building now retained and converted into residential apartments and the iconic Marri Tree that featured in the playground and used as the schoolโ€™s emblem until itโ€™s closure.

Photos shared by Lani Dedman Munday.

๐— ๐—œ๐——๐—Ÿ๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—ง๐—ข๐—ช๐—ก ๐—›๐—”๐—Ÿ๐—Ÿ ๐—ง๐—ข๐—จ๐—ฅ - ๐—ฆ๐—˜๐—ฃ๐—ง๐—˜๐— ๐—•๐—˜๐—ฅ ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐ŸฒMidland and Districts Historical Society together with the City of Swan invite yo...
20/08/2026

๐— ๐—œ๐——๐—Ÿ๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—ง๐—ข๐—ช๐—ก ๐—›๐—”๐—Ÿ๐—Ÿ ๐—ง๐—ข๐—จ๐—ฅ - ๐—ฆ๐—˜๐—ฃ๐—ง๐—˜๐— ๐—•๐—˜๐—ฅ ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฒ

Midland and Districts Historical Society together with the City of Swan invite you to a tour of the iconic Midland Town Hall.

Discover fascinating stories and secrets as our knowledgeable guides from the Midland and Districts Historical Society take you on a journey through time. Visit parts of the Midland Town Hall that are not normally open to the public.

Places are still available for our September 2026 - click on the link below to book your place. Places are limited and the tours are free.

We are excited to share with you the recently restored heritage building of the Midland Town Hall through an informative tour of its history through the years.

๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ๐—ง๐—› ๐—”๐—ก๐—ก๐—œ๐—ฉ๐—˜๐—ฅ๐—ฆ๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ฌ ๐—›๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—ง โ€“ ๐— ๐—œ๐——๐—Ÿ๐—”๐—ก๐——โ€™๐—ฆ ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฑ๐—ง๐—› ๐—•๐—œ๐—ฅ๐—ง๐—›๐——๐—”๐—ฌMidland and Districts Historical Society together with the City of ...
20/08/2026

๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ๐—ง๐—› ๐—”๐—ก๐—ก๐—œ๐—ฉ๐—˜๐—ฅ๐—ฆ๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ฌ ๐—›๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—ง โ€“ ๐— ๐—œ๐——๐—Ÿ๐—”๐—ก๐——โ€™๐—ฆ ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฑ๐—ง๐—› ๐—•๐—œ๐—ฅ๐—ง๐—›๐——๐—”๐—ฌ

Midland and Districts Historical Society together with the City of Swan and WA Historical Cycle Club celebrated Midlandโ€™s 125th Anniversary with a two day event on November 7 and 8, 2020 at the old Midland Courthouse in Midland.

Our Society showcased Midlandโ€™s past with an exhibition of photographs and artifacts while history buffs took up the opportunity of guided tours of the WAGR Workshops and Historical Heart of Midland learning their respective histories.

WA Historical Cycle Club also showcased an array of Flash Cycles bicycles and an exhibition about the history of the iconic cycle shop from Midland.

Sunday officially marked 125 years since the Municipality and townsite of Helena Vale was proclaimed. We celebrated with a morning tea and presentation about the birth of Midland.

John Dowson, son of the last General Manager of the Midland Railway Company of Western Australia, John Seymour Dowson and former Midland Railway Company of Western Australia employee, Neil Foster unveiled our Societyโ€™s newest additions, A model MRWA F Class 40 Locomotive and a name plate belonging to John Seymour Dowson.

We are extremely grateful to John and Judith Dowson, children of the late John Seymour Dowson who donated the items to our Society which were part of their late fatherโ€™s own collection. Neil Foster was a young apprentice with the Midland Railway Company of Western Australia in 1958 when he assisted with transporting the very locomotive back to Midland from Fremantle Harbour.

The model train and name plate now forms part of our Society collection and is currently on loan to the Irwin District Historical Society in Dongara.

A birthday party isnโ€™t birthday party without a cake, Mayor of the City of Swan, Kevin Bailey, long time Midland resident, Kevin Mountain and Society Chairperson, Matt Pavlinovich cut the 125th birthday cake to honour the anniversary and the strong crowd sang happy birthday to Midland.

We were so pleased with the turnout, the number of people it drew back to the historical heart of Midland and grateful that we were able to celebrate and acknowledge this important milestone for Midland.

Our Society would like to thank all our volunteers over the weekend, City of Swan, City of Swan Libraries, John and Judith Dowson and WA Historical Cycle Club who made it all happen.

๐—ช๐—˜ ๐—ฅ๐—˜๐— ๐—˜๐— ๐—•๐—˜๐—ฅ ๐—•๐—ฅ๐—œ๐—”๐—ก ๐—•๐—ฅ๐—”๐—๐—ž๐—ข๐—ฉ๐—œ๐—–๐—›Midland and Districts Historical Society is sadden to hear the passing of Brian Brajkovich.B...
19/08/2026

๐—ช๐—˜ ๐—ฅ๐—˜๐— ๐—˜๐— ๐—•๐—˜๐—ฅ ๐—•๐—ฅ๐—œ๐—”๐—ก ๐—•๐—ฅ๐—”๐—๐—ž๐—ข๐—ฉ๐—œ๐—–๐—›

Midland and Districts Historical Society is sadden to hear the passing of Brian Brajkovich.

Brian grew up in Middle Swan and was one of fourteen children to Croatian migrants, Nikola and Anje Brajkovich. He spent most of his working life at the familyโ€™s poultry farm in Middle Swan.

Brian was an avid baseballer with the Swan Districts Baseball Club and later held the positions of Coach and President at the club. He was a continued sponsor and led fundraising efforts for the club over a number of years. Outside of Swan Districts, Brian also held the position of Vice President of the Western Australian Baseball League.

He was also a supporter and office bearer for the Combined Sports Association which organised sporting events at Midland Oval including the Westral Carnival.

We wish to extend our condolences to Brianโ€™s family and friends at this sad time.

Rest in Peace Cookie.

๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ๐—ง๐—› ๐—”๐—ก๐—ก๐—œ๐—ฉ๐—˜๐—ฅ๐—ฆ๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ฌ ๐—›๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—ง  โ€“  ๐— ๐—œ๐——๐—Ÿ๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—ฅ๐—”๐—œ๐—Ÿ๐—ช๐—”๐—ฌ ๐—–๐—ข๐— ๐—ฃ๐—”๐—ก๐—ฌ ๐—ข๐—™ ๐—ช๐—˜๐—ฆ๐—ง๐—˜๐—ฅ๐—ก ๐—”๐—จ๐—ฆ๐—ง๐—ฅ๐—”๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—” ๐—›๐—ข๐—ก๐—ข๐—จ๐—ฅ๐—˜๐—— ๐—œ๐—ก ๐— ๐—œ๐——๐—Ÿ๐—”๐—ก๐——Midland and Districts His...
19/08/2026

๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ๐—ง๐—› ๐—”๐—ก๐—ก๐—œ๐—ฉ๐—˜๐—ฅ๐—ฆ๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ฌ ๐—›๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—ง โ€“ ๐— ๐—œ๐——๐—Ÿ๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—ฅ๐—”๐—œ๐—Ÿ๐—ช๐—”๐—ฌ ๐—–๐—ข๐— ๐—ฃ๐—”๐—ก๐—ฌ ๐—ข๐—™ ๐—ช๐—˜๐—ฆ๐—ง๐—˜๐—ฅ๐—ก ๐—”๐—จ๐—ฆ๐—ง๐—ฅ๐—”๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—” ๐—›๐—ข๐—ก๐—ข๐—จ๐—ฅ๐—˜๐—— ๐—œ๐—ก ๐— ๐—œ๐——๐—Ÿ๐—”๐—ก๐——

Midland and Districts Historical Society worked in collaboration with the City of Swan and Development WA to relocate a piece of rail track and plaque honouring the Midland Railway Company of Western Australia (MR) that had been sitting behind a fence out of public view on the former Tuohy Gardens site on Great Eastern Highway.

The piece of rail track and plaque have both been restored and with the addition of a interpretive sign now take pride of place on the corner of Helena Street and Great Eastern Highway adjoining the Centrepoint Midland Shopping Centre which was the site of the Midland Railway Company of Western Australia Limited โ€“ its administration, locomotive depot and workshops.

A goods rail line from the site ran across the Helena Street and Great Eastern Highway intersection and followed The Crescent before converging with the passenger rail line just north of Morrison Road on what is now Lloyd Street. The line then headed north to Walkaway.

The commemorative site was unveiled on Sunday February 13, 2022 by the Mayor of the City of Swan, Cr David Lucas; Hon Donna Faragher MLC; Judith Dowson โ€“ daughter of the late John Dowson, the last General Manager of the Midland Railway Company of Western Australia and Mark Richards โ€“ Deputy Chairperson of the Midland and Districts Historical Society.

The unveiling also saw former Midland Railway Company of Western Australia employees and relatives of employees come together to honour the company. Many of whom worked in Midland or along the rail line to Walkaway in different locations for the company.

Most people donโ€™t realise we had two separate railway workshops in Midland โ€“ the MR came to Midland before the WAGR. Our Society is very pleased that the MR history has now been honoured.

We thank the City of Swan and Development WA for making it happen and would like to highlight the contributions made by Society Committee members - Mark Richards, Don Butler and Jude Carr.

๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ๐—ง๐—› ๐—”๐—ก๐—ก๐—œ๐—ฉ๐—˜๐—ฅ๐—ฆ๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ฌ ๐—›๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—ง โ€“ ๐—ฃ๐—จ๐—ง๐—ง๐—œ๐—ก๐—š ๐—ช๐—˜๐—ซ๐—–๐—ข๐— ๐—•๐—˜ ๐—•๐—”๐—–๐—ž ๐—ข๐—ก ๐—ง๐—›๐—˜ ๐— ๐—”๐—ฃMidland and Districts Historical Society Inc approached the...
18/08/2026

๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ๐—ง๐—› ๐—”๐—ก๐—ก๐—œ๐—ฉ๐—˜๐—ฅ๐—ฆ๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ฌ ๐—›๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—š๐—›๐—ง โ€“ ๐—ฃ๐—จ๐—ง๐—ง๐—œ๐—ก๐—š ๐—ช๐—˜๐—ซ๐—–๐—ข๐— ๐—•๐—˜ ๐—•๐—”๐—–๐—ž ๐—ข๐—ก ๐—ง๐—›๐—˜ ๐— ๐—”๐—ฃ

Midland and Districts Historical Society Inc approached the DBCA Parks and Wildlife Service in April 2019 to retain the last remains of the former suburb, Wexcombe located in the Talbot Road Bushland Reserve in Stratton.

The suburb of Wexcombe was established in the early 1950โ€™s as a migrant camp after World War II and consisted of nissen huts located mainly in what is now the developed suburb of Stratton.

By the late 1970โ€™s, Wexcombe had disappeared with only remnants of housing and services remaining.

Since the development of Stratton began in 1991, the 16 hectares of bushland in which the remains of Wexcombe can be found had been unprotected and the plan was to deliver further residential development with the final stages of Stratton.

DBCA Parks and Wildlife Service took on responsibility of the bushland and it has now been merged into the existing A-Class Talbot Road Bushland Reserve.

Our Society was successful in retaining the remains within the bushland, the section of bushland has been named the Wexcombe Block and we continue to work with Parks and Wildlife Service to have interpretive signage installed at the site.

We were also successful in engaging with former residents to share their stories, memories and photos from the suburb. This resulted in the holding of a very successful residents reunion in Midland in April 2021.

Our Society would like to thank DBCA Parks and Wildlife Services and every former Wexcombe resident and their family members who came forward to contribute towards putting Wexcombe back on the map.

Today on Vietnam Veterans Day and 60th Anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan. We honour all Australians who served in th...
18/08/2026

Today on Vietnam Veterans Day and 60th Anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan.

We honour all Australians who served in the Vietnam War, and remember with gratitude those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Lest We Forget.

The wildflowers of Wexcombe right on our doorstep in the Talbot Road Nature Reserve.
17/08/2026

The wildflowers of Wexcombe right on our doorstep in the Talbot Road Nature Reserve.

Address

Yelverton Drive
Perth, WA

Website

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Midland and Districts Historical Society Inc. posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Shortcuts

Share