10/07/2026
The last few days have been brutal, but Sugar has finally turned a corner π
She's not out of the woods just yet, but here's what's been going on since Sunday:
Sunday 10/4
Sugar took a bad turn. Her breathing got fast and hard, and she couldn't tolerate her oxygen tube, so Woodland West's own staff rushed her to an emergency hospital with a special oxygen kennel. We didn't know if she'd make it, and we were terrified.
Monday 10/5
Her vet gave us the first hopeful news. Her breathing rate had come down a bit, and the vet was able to turn her oxygen support down from 40% to 30%. She handled time outside the kennel and bathroom breaks okay. She still had a lot of nasal discharge and a low-grade fever, and because a week of antibiotics hadn't gotten her as far as expected, her vet wanted to do more testing. We (of course) approved it.
Her foster went to see her. Sugar was shaking, very thin, and still working hard to breathe. She didn't care about her favorite treats or her stuffy. They sat together that afternoon, her foster petting her and talking to her, and promised her she'd be home soon to curl up on the bed with the kids. We're holding her to it π
Tuesday 10/6
Sugar had her best day yet. She was weaned off oxygen completely, and her breathing improved. She ate for the first time since arriving at the ER. She was much more active, she loved her walks outside, and her vet said it was the best she'd looked.
She isn't done fighting. Her nose is still draining, and her fever keeps going up and down (over 106 at some points). She is still shaking and doesn't feel well. She was underweight to begin with, and pneumonia has taken nearly 20% of her original weight in under two weeks. That's eight pounds she didn't have to lose. She needs to stay on antibiotics, but they're working to wean her off the pain medication.
We're still waiting on the results of her respiratory panel to look for other causes, and we're hopeful that having those answers will help us understand why she hasn't responded to antibiotics the way she should and give us an idea of what steps to take moving forward.
We did get some good news- if she keeps improving, she may be able to move out of the ER soon! Maybe even as soon as this afternoon!? π
Thank you to everyone who donated, shared, and rooted for her. We don't even want to think about where she would be without your support π